Thursday 23 Oct 2014

Week 336 10_03_12

Welcome to another month of us trying to find you a NEXT, new favorite song. This week we play 15 songs. Let us know what the best song was.

Please listen to NEXT on Ocean 98 in Maryland Sunday nights at 10. Join us as we live chat (scroll down to the bottom of this post)

It’s an easy way to help NEXT. Please use this iTunes link to purchase any songs you like. I get a few pennies if you do. Thanks.

Artist and Song Title:
Dr Dog – Be the Void, AC Newman – Encyclopedia of Classic Takedowns, Tristan Prettyman – My Oh My, The Mountain Goats – Cry for Judas, Northbrook Garage – All About the Eyes, Paul Westerberg – My Road, Frank Turner – The Ballad of Me and My Friends, Gary Clark Jr – Numb, Dinosaur Jr – Pierce the Morning Rain, Corin Tucker Band – Groundhog Day, Robert Pollard – Fighting the Smoke, Julien-K – Surrounded By Cowards, The Tragically Hip – Now for Plan A, Jake Shimabukuro – Rolling in the Deep (Cover), Van Morrison – End of the Rainbow

1. brighid says:

Wow! Can’t decide if I’m more excited the Mountain Goats, Frank Turner, or the Tragically Hip.

Why not all 3?

3. brighid says:

This is going to be the week I break my sunday night rule and listen to this week tonight.

4. brighid says:

Holy crap! The ballad of me and my friends is fantastic!!! Love frank turner. Very close second with paul westerberg. And the guitar opening for gary clark jr is brilliant! So far just play this week over again at the end of the month for a best of show.

and now you know what a hard job I have at the end of each month (let’s not chat about the end of the year please).

6. brighid says:

And there’s only about 10 more shows til the end of the year show (shows) start. Thats still about 100 more songs added into the mix. Good luck.

Wow I feel better already.

Can’t believe we are closing in on 2013.

8. brighid says:

Sorry. Glad to make you less stressed.

9. Rick says:

I like it!

Thanks Rick

and Brig.

Good luck in the drawing tomorrow.

11. George says:

Most songs on this selection were just OK for me, I did like My Oh My the best.

• Chris says:

Thanks for listening George. Maybe another week will agree with you more. Glad My Oh My did something for you. That’s my goal find you a next new favorite song. I always hope you find more but I settle for one.

12. Thom I says:

Def, Gary Clark Jr – does anyone hear the blend of Jimi Hendrix & Robin Trower (Procol Harum lead guitar)?

13. Rob Kingston says:

Finally was able to get to this week’s NEXT show. I was excited to see bunch of my perennial favorites: Westerberg, Dinosaur Jr., The Mountain Goats. And a few other favorites like Frank Turner (may be a perennial soon), Dr. Dog, AC Newman and Gary Clark Jr. And those ended up being my favorites for the week as well. With a special mention to Van Morrison who is a legend and it’s nice to hear from him, but this one was nothing special (IMHO).

I guess I have to give it to Westerberg just because, it’s so good to hear from him again and I’m excited about the possibility of a Mats reunion.

But give it up too for the awesome guitar work from Gary Clark Jr.

And what a great album from Dinosaur Jr., how many bands make a come back and put out new work as good or better than their earlier work??

Another great week. Keep it up! Thanks.

14. Rob Kingston says:

Oh and I mant to mention to Thom I – yes I do – especially the opening of Numb.

15. Rob Kingston says:

Oh, and the Mountain Goats deserve a mention too. The horns were a nice addition and Darnielle’s voice and lyrics are as awesome as ever.

16. Allyn Harris says:

Love Tristan Prettyman’s voice – always picks me up on a Monday. And Van Morrison — good choice as well :)

Agreed Allyn plus I am quite happy she got rid of the Mraz guy. Good choice.

And as always I love reading Rob’s comments. Insightful. Thanks everyone.

18. brighid says:

I’ve listened to this week’s episode about 15 times and it keeps getting better and better!

You just made me smile on the inside (on the outside too)