It’s been a while since I posted a list of ten songs. I’m in a New York state of mind so I’ve decided to post ten songs about the greatest city in the world. Here are ten songs about New York City. No there’s no Frank Sinatra on this list because, quite frankly, I think he sucks. I also tried, at least a tiny bit, to through some different ones in there.
10. Willie Nile – Streets Of New York – I like Willie and this is a pretty song.
9. Ryan Adams – New York, New York – This is one of those obvious ones but so good. Factor in the video being made the Friday before September 11th and it makes it all that much more special.
8. Andrew W.K. – I Love New York City - Does Andrew WK make great, deep thought provoking music? Nope but at least he doesn’t pretend. The guy’s just having fun and that’s why I like him. Sure his music is pretty bad but he knows it. This song sucks but still fun to listen to on the way to the Yankee game.
7. Beastie Boys – Open Letter To NYC – Gotta like the Beastie Boys paying homage to their home city.
6. The Drifters – On Broadway - Going old school. Gotta love the Drifters.
5. New York Dolls – Subway Train - Those New York subways are awesome. OK maybe they’re not. In fact maybe they’re the worst place on earth But this is a cool song.
4. Death Cab For Cutie – Marching Bands Of Manhattan - This is one of the gems on DCFC’s Plans album. A VERY under rated album.
3. Kings Of Leon – Manhattan - I don’t know guys there are a lot of pigeons in the city. You may want to walk around with some sort of rain coat or something.
2. Ramones – Rockaway Beach – I’ve never been to Rockaway Beach and I can’t imagine it’s any good. But the Ramones sure make it sound fun and if they were there I’d totally go.
1. U2 – Angel Of Harlem - I’ve been to Harlem a few times and, quite frankly, I’ve never seen anything that resembles an angel so I don’t know what the hell Bono’s talking about here. In fact I’m pretty sure at least one of those people was the devil himself.