OK today I’m doing a ten songs to honor the dead. What do these ten songs have in common? They’re all by dead people. Makes you think who’s the greatest dead artist?
R.I.P. Ten Songs
10. Nirvana – Heart Shaped Box – Of course Kurt has to be on a list like this. I was always was on team Nirvana in the Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam argument. Calm down I like Pearl Jam too so don’t send me any hate mail.
9. The Ramones – Beat On The Brat – Maybe you guys can help me out are they all dead? I know Joey and Dee Dee are I think Marky’s still alive though. Anyway even if they’re not all dead they’re mostly dead and,unlike the movie the Princess Bride, mostly dead in rock and roll is a bad thing.
8. James Brown – Papas Got A Brand New Bag – Seriously when you think about it was there ever anyone more entertaining than the godfather of soul? Nope. I defy you to dance to this music. It’s music that automatically puts you in a good mood. Not sure if there’s any truth to the rumor that when he was pronounced dead they put the sheet over his face and he popped right back up. I heard they did that three times before he was actually pronounced dead. He was always the showman.
7. Blind Melon – No Rain – I wonder where the bee girl is now. She’s probably married to that naked baby from the cover of the Nirvana album.
6. Buddy Holly – That’ll Be The Day – Note to self: When given the option of taking a single engine prop plane or a bus with no heat. Always take the bus.
5. Amy Winhouese – Back To Black – I know what you’re saying she’s not dead right? Well consider this a preemptive strike then because it’s only a matter of time. I mean let’s not kid ourselves.
4. The Doors – Break On Through – Maybe it’s because I’m too young or maybe it’s because I just watched the movie the other night but this song totally makes me think of Forrest Gump. Is that lame? Sorry.
3. Elvis Presley – Suspicious Minds – Dying on the toilet must really suck. I wouldn’t want people finding dead with my pants around my ankles that’s for sure. Shouldn’t have had that last nutter butter sandwich.
2. Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody – I may be showing my young age again but I was first exposed to this song when I was a kid and watched Wayne’s World and they were head banging in the Murph Mobile. I thought to my self “yea this is good”. I was a cool kid.
1. Jimi Hendrix – Voodoo Child – My favorite Jimi song and my favorite dead rock star. It’s almost good he died so young in a weird way. I wouldn’t want to see him as an old man play crappy blues festivals. Long live Jimi.