You’ll find from time to time that I like to come up with lists. Today is the first list I’ll do and it’s sure to stir up emotions. I will tell you that each list I do is then set in stone forever and is completely inarguable. So today I present to you the inarguable list of the top ten most over rated bands of all time.
10 Most Over Rated Bands Of All Time
10. Dave Matthews Band – Commercially he’s never been that successful. His highest charting song in the states is “Dream Girl” and that only reached number 16. Outside the states only one of his songs, “The Space Between”, has charted and it was number 35 in the UK. None of his songs charted anywhere else ever. Outside the states he’s non-existent. So why is he so revered? As far as his live show is concerned it’s the only concert I’ve ever been to where the crowd sat in their chairs and talked to each other during the show. A few of the members of his band seem talented i.e. the drummer but Dave, himself, lacks something. He’s just not a rock star he’s a nerdy dude with an acoustic guitar. Don’t fret Dave fans he’s only number 10 on this list there are far more over rated bands out there.
9. Billy Joel – Billy Seems like a nice enough guy but I just always thought the piano rock thing was just not cool and pretty dorky. I mean my mom likes Billy Joel how cool could he be? I will admit that when I’m doing karaoke “Up Town Girl” is my go to song though.
8. Bruce Springsteen – Sorry but most of Bruce’s stuff is just down right cheesy. Sure he’s got some good ones but the rest is just down right cheese. Nothing good has come out of Jersey since …….ummm…..well let’s just leave it at that. I hear he has a good live show although I’ve never seen him. He should definitely not be as revered as he is. Chalk this one up to me just not getting it.
7. Fleetwood Mac – The most interesting part about them is that they all had sex with each other and really I’m not even interested in that either. To me their music is just lame dentist office lite FM stuff. I get a toothache just listening to them. Well them and this guy.
6. Aerosmith – “Dream On” is a great song. That was made in 1973. Between ’73 and about ’86 where were they? oh yea no where until Run DMC remixed their song and brought them back to relevance. Then came the early 90’s where not only did all their songs sound basically the same but even their music videos were similar. Then of course they had to torture us with the love ballad for the awful movie “Armageddon”. I know you weren’t there for her as a kid but that doesn’t mean you have to cast your daughter in all your videos and do the soundtrack to her crappy movie. She is hot though.
4. Counting Crows – Has there ever been a whinier band? The lead singer sucks and no one in the band does anything well. The word that comes to mind is “generic”. I guess if you were in college and you were a tool in 1993 you loved these guys. I saw them at a festival where the lead singer almost fell off the stage. That would have been the greatest thing ever. Unfortunately one of the roadies grabbed him. If you’ve been to a Counting Crows concert in the last five years you should be shot. Unless you read this blog of course. Props to the singer for nailing both Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox though.
2. Kiss – Why aren’t they a one hit wonder? Isn’t that what usually happens to bands that only have one good song? And that song isn’t even that good. Just because you have a lot of fireworks at your live show doesn’t make you good. They could easily be number one if it weren’t for the next band.